Pages

Sunday

Religious Differences

My Son came home from high school one day and expressed to me that his best friend from the year before had approached him about “the Mormon Church,” telling him about a class he was taking at his church and how wrong it was to be a Mormon. The friend was warning him and expressed to my son the need to learn about the mistakes he was making by being a Mormon. My son was unmoved about his so-called folly. His foundation of gospel knowledge and testimony was in tact. What really bothered him was his friend, who was changed from being his friend almost overnight. He could not understand this deviation in his friend’s behavior and opinion of him. What made this transformation in his friend is the clue to what happened. How we as mothers handle this situation is crucial to your child’s growth in social understanding and gospel steadfastness.

I received insight into this issue during the past week as I attended an open forum featuring Jan Shipps. She has a Doctorate in L.D.S. History and has been lecturing for the past 40 years declaring the Mormon Church is a Christian Church and should be recognized as such. The interesting fact is that she is not a member of the LDS church but an active member of the United Methodist Church. Somehow this gives her more credibility among the non-LDS groups. The forum I attended was open for ministers from all religions and was held at the School of Theology in Claremont, California. I went because I wanted to meet her as I have read several of her books.

The meeting invited an open setting with all of us facing in a circle. Questions and answers were discussed in a very educated, non-spiritual, straightforward way. With several ministers there from other faiths my curiosity was peaked and I could not help raising my hand and asking a question directed to them as leaders of their own flocks. I queried, “What is it that makes you so afraid of our church that you need to educated your youth against us?” Before anyone could respond I asked a follow-up question, “What can we do to build tolerance and understanding between our church and yours?”

I feel strongly that living in a diverse religious environment we to recognize not only our differences but also need to teach acceptance of each other as individuals in spite of those differences. We need to concentrate on how we are alike, not different. Los Angeles was just recognized as the city boasting the most religions in one concentrated area surpassing London, the previous leader. Our world especially here in California is a melting pot for religions so understanding and tolerating our differences needs to take place. I was able to express my point of view to these clergy in a very open manner.

I was interested in these clergies’ perception of us as a religion. Be it right or wrong they view us as a people who tell their youth that, “we are right and you are wrong.” One very outspoken clergy commented that our people have an almost arrogant, better than you attitude. His own experiences must have led him to this conclusion. If I remember church history correctly that attitude got the early Saints in a lot of trouble in Missouri. Needless to say, they see our youth as a threat to their your, potentially leading them away form their religious beliefs. They feel their youth need to be armed to ward off our advances. I don’t agree with these concepts but accepted their point of view.

The question is what can we do about this whole situation? Understanding the points they made and understanding where we are coming from I see that a line of demarcation needs to be established. A demilitarized zone atmosphere needs to be implemented so relationships of trust can be developed. The rest of the forum was a discussion on building tolerance and acceptance in spite of our differences, working together on community events and teaching these concepts to our congregations.

One concept that was discussed and agreed upon unanimously is the fact that the LDS church has changed from a “We take care of our own” concept to “We take care of the world” concept. They all knew of the generosity of our humanitarian programs and also acknowledged our activity in various communities inter-faith councils. I really felt those clergy walked away with a new understanding about us as a people.

Back to my son on his daily life in a high school where youth are taught that “Mormonism” is bad. I first told him I couldn’t think of a better role model than Mormon who stood strong when everyone was against him. Secondly, I can’t change what other religions teach their people, even though the forum I attended was a good start. I can, however, influence my son’s understanding of people and their fears. I have told him of other religions’ perception of us stealing their youth away from their own religious background and how important it is to be the best friend and best example of who he is and what he represents. His standards and goodness will always win over fear and misunderstanding. Confidence is one’s own beliefs do not mean the need to prove someone to be wrong to strengthen your own position. Truth and the spirit has it’s own natural way of drawing others to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment