Pages

Wednesday

The Most Important Things for a Baby

Diapers, Onesies, Tylenol… my list went on. I sat in my son’s room worried I was missing something. He was due to be born any day and I wanted his arrival into my home to be perfect. I wanted to welcome him with everything of worldly comfort be able to provide for his every need. Plagued with worry, I was determined to settle my fear by going through my list just one last time. When I finished, I asked myself, “Am I now prepared for my baby’s arrival? Do I have all the essentials? Being satisfied with my preparation, yet still feeling a lingering void, the thought came to my mind, “Of course, I’m prepared. The most important thing I can five my son is knowledge of the Gospel, the knowledge of who he is and what he can become.” I was taken back at the simplicity of my thought and, in a way, felt somewhat foolish for focusing on the superficial. After all, I could provide nothing greater for my son! By teaching him about his Heavenly Father’s plan, I would be able to five him the knowledge and the tools that many search for their entire lives but fail to find… the true gospel and eternal truths.

How different my perspective was as I went through my checklist again, thinking only of my spiritual preparation for his arrival. No longer was proving for his temporal needs quite as important to me as my ability to teach him of his divine inheritance. I couldn’t help but realize how easy it had been to accumulate the tangible for my son, but what about my own personal preparation? Had I been just as vigilant in seeking out qualities and attitudes in myself that would foster in my child a love of the lord and an environment that would enable him to fulfill his potential? The peace I felt that morning was overwhelming, as I realized I was indeed ready to welcome into my care a child of God.

Motherhood, I have discovered is full of moments such as this. It was only when I saw my baby for the first time that I understood the enormity of responsibility I held in my arms. As a mother who had just been given the most miraculous gift from above, I realized my responsibility in providing him the essentials necessary to return home to his loving Father in Heaven. I looked at him as I have looked at no one else before and beheld for the first time the endless potential my baby, like each of us, hold inside. What an incredible responsibility to awaken that potential and how grateful I am the Gospel provides the pattern to do so.

President Hinckley has said, “Let every mother realize that she has no greater blessing than the children which have come to her as a gift of the almighty; that she has no greater mission than to rear them in light and truth, and understanding and love; that she will have no greater happiness than to see them grow into young men and women who respect principles of virtue, who walk free from the stain of immorality.”

Now that I’m a mother, I look at the world differently. In my interactions with others, it’s obvious how stifled many of us have become because of failure to nurture this knowledge, knowledge that we are sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father. As mothers however, we are blessed with the constant reminder our children give us as they portray very clearly the divine nature and inherent beauty we all hold inside. The challenge lies in helping our children see themselves as we do. To help them realize their potential.

If I were to go back and rewrite my list of necessary items essential to welcoming a new baby into this world, I would list the obvious such as consistent family home evenings, daily scripture study and family prayer. In addition, however, I would add things such as a soft loving voice, kind uplifting words, open arms and patience, just to name a few. We live in a world that lacks of love. It is substituted with the tangible and the temporary, but we a Latter-day Saint mothers can provide our children with a lasting knowledge of joy and happiness and warmth only a righteous mother can give.

I watch my son now who is nearly seven months. He’s gone through his stash of diapers, stained all his Onesies and kept me up late at night on a few occasions battling one ailment or another. I’m quickly learning motherhood requires adaptability, but one constant remains and that is my love for him. Quite often I find myself reflecting on that moment of peace I felt just seven short months ago. In moments both of happiness and discouragement, I remember my purpose as his mother, and find great satisfaction knowing I am taking part in nurturing this child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment