Pages

Monday

A Firm Foundation

My teenagers have been following with interest the numerous religious controversies. First, there are the debates, voting and division of the Episcopal Church over homosexuality. They also questioned me about the Catholic Church’s handling of the many “priest incidences” pertaining to child abuse. We discussed the recent Massachusetts ruling on gay marriage and the impact it will have on our society. All are sad reviews of our time.

I watch my children with interest as they realize what these topics are about. They question why churches and society even debate about them. “Isn’t it just wrong?” they ask. My teens remind me of little kittens as their eyes are beginning to open. They are seeing the “opposition” part of our society and I wish I could shelter them a little while longer. I don’t want them to be aware of this part of life too soon, but on the other hand if I don’t guide them through these topics, who will? I f I were to disregard their questions, until they were older, would I be allowing them to come to worldly conclusions, which maybe contrary to righteous standards and views?

My daughter said, “You wouldn’t see those problems in our church!” I had to sadly tell her that sometimes you do but how they are handled is completely different. Our Church is based upon eternal truths and truth never changes. There are just some issues where agency and debating are not an option. (Even in a High Priest Quorum meeting.) My son mentioned that there is a safe feeling knowing these subjects are truly black and white. We know exactly how our Church stands on issues. Wrong will never be debated into right or rationalized to become doctrine. We referred to the “Proclamation on the Family” and read the parts that pertained to marriage and the sanctity of family.

This led us into the topic of “lesser wrongs” that are not so black and white, such as watching R rated movies, not obeying parents with righteous motives, gossiping that my hurt your friends, not living the word of wisdom or keeping the Sabbath day holy. Are these concepts up for debate or rationalization? We discussed the magnitude of these issues. They came to the conclusion on their own that all wrongs take you away from the Spirit. And hurt both others and yourself. They lead you away from where our Heavenly Father wants you to be. What is there to rationalize? You can never make a wrong right. You are either moving forward or backward. There is no standing still.

My older son sent me a newspaper article reporting that ht largest Christian bookstore chain in America would soon open their doors for business on Sunday afternoon. Their rational was two fold: “Churches have their (bookstore) doors open on Sunday, why shouldn’t we?” Many denominations have bookstores within their church and have them open following their services. 2) “What we are commanded to do in Matthew 28:19 doesn’t say, Monday to Saturday, 9 to 5, it’s a 24-7 great commission.”

My children enjoyed reading about their reasons why to open on Sunday but comment again that our foundation is firm and truth will never change to meet the desires of the times. As issues and topics come and go it is easy to see how wide the divide is becoming between unalterable truth and the philosophies of men. At the same time it should be easier to recognize the truth that isn’t altered by rationalization.

It is wise to guide your children through these times. Your wisdom and testimony will help them hold onto that rod of iron. There is a real “mist of darkness” in the light of day. Our families and Church doctrine are the firm foundation for them unlike the “great and spacious” building that is floating in the air and moves with the trends of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment