Pages

Wednesday

Faith In The Future

The headline in our local paper today was, Ban on Same-Sex Union Frizzles. It makes me wonder where the voice for morality is but more importantly I question what kind of a world my children will raise their children in. The days of the Cleaver’s are definitely over, or are they? We still have agency of choice to live in the world and to be of it or to live in the world yet not partake of the worldly attitudes.

Reading the headlines we witness a world that is falling apart, from terrorist’s threats to decay in moral values, yet I am not without hope. It is a fearful time to live in today but I cannot believe the Lord has left us without knowing the end and is willing to help us if we but ask. Looking back in history there has always been a war to destroy and thwart goodness and to misrepresent truth. Does this surprise any of us that at this time in history it should be any different? On the contrary we should not be shocked that in these latter days the war of evil would wage even harder against what is good and righteous. It is the classic story of good versus evil as we face the last great standoff.

In church the other day a talk was being given on the standards and values that we have as latter-day Saints compared to the world’s attitudes and morals. My daughter leaned over to me and asked the question, “Are you afraid to let me grow up in this world?” Without hesitation I replied, “Not at all!” a peace came over me and I really knew that she would be safe. She has been given every means to fortify her against the evil that is waging so strong a battle out there. It will be up to her to apply what she has been given to her own life but she can and will prevail. As the divide gets wider it is actually easier to see the good from the evil.

I am so grateful for the Young Men and Young Women’s programs. The Strength of the Youth pamphlet is a wonderful guide for them to follow and will truly keep them safe if they will adhere to what it says. I could not help reminisce back to my standards booklet when I was her age at 15. The guideline I remember most was… 1) Do not wear curlers in public. Yes, times have changed but I fill confident in our youth and the teachings they receive. These spirits have never been stronger than we see today coming into the world. They are up to the challenge that is ahead of them and are being prepared for this battle. We parents need to rise to the challenge to help them meet these confrontations with faith in the future and a determination to live a gospel centered life.

The innocence of the 50’s may never be seen again but even Adam and Eve needed to leave the garden to learn and progress. May we take this challenge that we are all faced with and raise our own bar as we have been admonished.

No comments:

Post a Comment